Sunday, October 10, 2010

Brief Update and Brilliant Breakfast


I started grad school and a new job (well, an unexpected promotion at the Division of Public Health that caused me to remain with the Division past August, my original end date) 4 days after my last post. This is why I have not blogged for one and a half months. Today, 10/10/10, I woke up and made a delicious power breakfast. When I've described this breakfast to others, I've been met with scrunched noses. Even Matt, the number one fan of my cooking, admitted to not being thrilled about this morning's breakfast choice. His resistance compelled me to post this recipe and invite others to delight in its warmth and comforting flavors.


Some exciting news worth mentioning is that I had my A1C tested a few weeks ago. My score was 6.9. My A1C has not been this low in years!!! To give you an idea of what these A1C numbers mean, here is an A1C grading scale:

4.0 - 5.5 A++ (This is the typical range for non-diabetics)
5.6 - 6.0 A+
6.1 - 6.5 A
6.6 - 7.0 A-
7.1 - 7.5 B+
7.6 - 8.0 B-
8.1 - 8.5 C
8.6 - 8.9 D
9.0 + F

I was beside myself with excitement to have finally brought my A1C down below 7.0. My Papa, on the other hand, recently had to go to the hospital because he kept getting dizzy spells. The lab work demonstrated that his heart, thankfully, was okay but that he was severely anemic. He is home now and feeling better but is fairly certain that he will not be making the trip to Belize. I'm sad that he probably won't be in Belize for our wedding but am happy that this blog has encouraged him to eat more veggies and cook more plant-based, healthy meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment